Stage One supports the development of a detailed research and implementation plan that will form the basis of a Stage Two application. The research plan will cover up to five years of activity to take your idea from concept to outcome. You must demonstrate how your idea is novel and transformative, and how you will bring together multi-disciplinary research and industry partners to transform your idea into practical benefit for Australia.
The Stage One grant opportunity will fund up to ten projects. For this Stage One grant opportunity, up to $10 million is available.
- The minimum grant amount is $250,000.
- The maximum grant amount is $1 million.
- The grant amount will be up to 100 per cent of eligible project costs.
- The maximum grant period is one year of execution of grant agreement.
To be eligible you must:
- have an Australian Business Number (ABN)
- be incorporated in Australia
And be one of the following eligible bodies:
- a medical research institute
- a university
- a corporate Commonwealth entity
- a corporation (including businesses and not for profits).
Joint applications are encouraged, provided you have a lead applicant who is the main driver of the project and is eligible to apply.
You are not eligible to apply if you are:
- an individual
- trust (however, an incorporated trustee may apply on behalf of a trust)
- a Commonwealth, State, Territory or local government body (including government business enterprises)
- a non-corporate Commonwealth entity.
For further information on eligibility criteria, refer to the grant opportunity guidelines.
Terms and conditions
For complete details on the terms and conditions that govern the Medical Research Future Fund Frontier Health and Medical Research Program Stage One – Research Plan please refer to the website.