Knowledge and infrastructure assets within the tertiary education and research sector are primary drivers of attracting investment into Canberra. Finding innovative ways to collaborate and activate these assets will lead to long term wealth and wellbeing through economic diversification and growth in jobs.
The Priority Investment Program (PIP) has been established to assist the ACT Government work with likeminded partners to achieve these objectives.
The PIP aims to enable collaboration between the ACT Government, industry, research and the tertiary sectors to attract investment and grow established and emerging priority sectors of Canberra’s economy.
The PIP will initially target the priority sectors of cyber security, space, defence, renewable energy, agri-technology and plant sciences, healthy and active living and education, where Canberra has known and established strengths to capitalise on the rapidly growing global opportunities.
The ACT Government has committed a total of $9.75 million to the Priority Investment Program over 3 years from the 2018-19 financial year. The majority of the funding will be offered on a competitive basis to projects or proposals that:
- demonstrate how the project will attract and retain an inward flow of investment and talent into priority sectors.
- establish or deepen collaboration between industry, higher education and research and Government to align capabilities in priority sectors.
- realise and sustain both latent and potential growth opportunities for the ACT’s knowledge-based economy.
- demonstrate collaboration by a diverse mix of activity, industry and firm sizes.
- Attract and retain investment to grow Canberra’s knowledge-based economy;
- Make strategic investments that will unlock opportunities in the priority sectors; and
- Build sustainable partnerships between the ACT Government, education and research institutions, industry and investors.
Terms and Conditions
How to Apply
Download and read the guidelines from this link - Priority Investment Program Guidelines
Contact the Innovation, Industry and Investment team with any questions and to discuss your proposal before you make an application. They will require an Expression of Interest to be completed before you make a formal application.