Clearways Innovation Challenge (closed)
Transport for NSW are looking for an innovative solution to help us keep clearways clear. Your product should use the clearways data that we have made available as part of this innovation challenge. The solution should also attempt to address the three problem statements that we have identified as the major issues currently hindering the management and effective use of clearways. These problem statements are outlined below.
Transport for NSW will assist with the incubation process in developing your product that can be endorsed by government agencies and meets customers’ expectations. Transport for NSW will also provide marketing for the solutions that are selected for endorsement via existing communications and marketing channels.
What is a Clearway?
A clearway is a section of road where stopping or parking is prohibited. Buses and taxis are permitted to stop when dropping off or picking up passengers. Clearway hours are variable depending on the day of week, time of day and location as indicated by signage.
Problem Statements Transport for NSW expects that your solution will address the following problem statements.
1. How can we improve driver’s awareness of clearway restrictions?
Any cars parked in clearways during operating times, transit lanes and bus lanes, can contribute to and cause congestion. Standard clearways times are becoming more complex in addition to clearways required for special events. How can we prevent drivers from parking (and leaving their vehicles) in clearways? This includes the start and end of clearway operating times.
2. How can we improve how the TMC is notified of stationary vehicles in clearways, transit lanes or bus lanes?
The Transport Management Centre (TMC) works closely with other government agencies and service providers to constantly monitor and maximise the safety and efficiency of the NSW transport network. The TMC is notified and takes action when a vehicle is parked in a clearway, transit lane or bus lane.How can the TMC be notified faster and more efficiently when vehicles are parked illegally in clearways?
The TMC checks the vehicle registration in the RMS DRIVES system to ensure the car is not involved in a crime at which point a tow truck contractor is notified and authorised to tow the vehicle to the closest legal on-street parking spot. (See Statement 3).
3. How can we advise a driver the location of their towed vehicle?
Drivers don’t know who to contact when they can’t find their vehicle. If the vehicle has been towed due to being in a clearway, transit lane or bus lane, the TMC is aware of where the vehicle is parked.
Vehicles are towed to the nearest legal on-street parking spot. This location is logged with the TMC who can advise the driver when they phone in. Parking fines and towing fees are incurred by the driver.
Transport for NSW Open Data Team
Transport for NSW
Applicants will have access to newly released Clearways data to develop their product. TfNSW Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) will be made available during development to provide advice and support. Products will then be tested and assessed for endorsement before being released to the market.
Please Note: Should you be selected through to incubation, you must be able to produce a market-ready product that incorporates data and functionality by April 2019.
The applicant/s who are selected through to incubation will have the opportunity to be endorsed by TfNSW. TfNSW endorses products that are of high quality, innovative and solve customer problems.
Endorsed products are required to meet the following Judging Criteria:
1. Customer Experience - Usability is a factor - is the solution appealing, effortless, intuitive and easy to use?
2. Market Feasibility - Does your solution demonstrate knowledge of Transport’s customer base and will it be available to most people?
3. Innovation - Is your product unique and original, and does it demonstrate tangible technical innovations?
4. Commercial Sustainability - Can your idea sustain its commercial momentum? Is it profitable in the long term?
5. Technical Feasibility - Can your idea receive insights and statistics, demonstrate an understanding of technical inputs to app development and ensure technical stability?
Terms and conditions
Clearways Innovation Challenge - Terms and Conditions can be viewed here.