E3 Sports is a diversified management, entertainment and education enterprise that specialises in training and capability development in the sporting lifestyle industry. They offer individuals and companies the opportunity to grow and develop their capabilities, and be part of a larger health and sporting movement in Singapore and Asia.
Over the last decade, the number of running races held globally has seen a staggering growth in numbers. However, the industry’s growth has slowed down as it reaches a saturation point of competitive and endurance racers. To continue to attract new and repeat participants into their events, organisers understand the varied needs of participants, their demands and opportunities. Besides looking for a shared experience in physical, mental and sensory experience, the participants also opined their preference to start the race at their own convenience within a given time window.
However, current race timing systems usually involve complicated systems (such as RFID) that are expensive and take time to set up at the start and finish lines. Many races today have a synchronised start, to accurately tag the participants’ race time. However, post-race data clean-up is an extremely manual and time-consuming process.
E3 Sports wants to increase the organisers’ competitiveness and improve the experience of organising races around Singapore (and potentially in other cities) by simplifying the way races are timed. Accurate race times are essential for serious athletes and sporting bodies (whether amateur or professional). Frictionless experience in getting these timing is also an important factor for the participants.
E3 Sports hopes to provide organisers an easier solution for race timing, lowering their costs for organising the event, and allow for more flexibility in the types of events that can be run within a community.
E3 Sports are looking for:
- A prototype app-based race timing solution that is both accurate, cheap and easy to set up for race organisers, including amateur organisers. The solution needs to support the following actions:
- Official registration of race participants, with user data stored to make future registration easy without having to re-enter data (with secure data storage in accordance with PDPA)
- Race organisers do not need to set up complex infrastructure beyond commonly available devices (printed paper, phones or tablets for example)
- At the commencement of the race:
- For self-starting races, a user-initiated interaction (like scanning a QR code with a mobile phone) by the participant that starts the timer; or
- For races with an official start time, the timer starts at the appointed time
- At the conclusion of the race, a similar user-initiated interaction by the participants (e.g. QR code scan) stops the timer and enters the data into the official race record
- The solution must ensure the integrity in the race results (assurance that the participant was at the start and finish points at the precise recorded time) and, preferably, to ensure that the route was adhered to.
- Participants and organisers alike can use the app to see race times and results, with an intuitively designed and professional user interface
- Organisers can at any time see who is still on the course racing - for safety and other event organising purposes
There are no restrictions on the geographic location of the problem solvers who may choose to apply to this challenge. However, the prototype needs to be demonstrated in Singapore.
Please note to view details of this challenge, you will be required to create an online profile - please refer to the website for further details.
For complete details on the eligibility criteria that govern 'Innovative Running Race Timing' please refer to the website.
Terms and Conditions
For complete details on the terms and conditions criteria that govern 'Innovative Running Race Timing' please refer to the website.