Seeking digital key solutions
This company manages the operation of apartments, and the apartments’ main doors are currently unlocked by physical keys that needs to be presented in order to permit entry. These physical keys are presented upon registration during the check-in process, which can be made more efficient if these keys are sent to a mobile device via mobile applications that incorporates the check-in process.
The company envisions the solution to be akin to entering a keyless entry vehicle, whereby the owner need only to pull a handle to open it. However, keyless entry vehicles still require a physical key to be within a certain proximity to the vehicle, whilst this company seeks a digital key to achieve the same.
The company is open to test-bed solutions that shows potential to achieve their desired outcome, and technology owners should be open to test the solution in phases. The initial phase may involve testing the digital key solution as a standalone application without being integrated into the company’s guest-facing mobile application.
The solution should be able to (but not limited to):
- Create a digital key that can interact with smart locks to unlock the door when the key is within the proximity of the lock
- Interface with smart locks of different brands
- Automatically enable Bluetooth, Near-Field Communication (NFC), or other suitable wireless technologies, in order to interact with the smart lock when in proximity, i.e. door unlock is enabled via 2-way interaction/authentication between the door lockset and the mobile application in a rest state (mobile application should not need to be running and open for the above to happen)
- Embed the same key onto different mobile devices for occupants of the same apartment
- Programmable to be active for the entire period of stay, i.e. from check-in to check-out, which could be in the order of days, weeks, months or years
- Sound an alarm, notify, or not lock the door if the mobile device is not in proximity when leaving the apartment
- Have a Software Development Kit (SDK) that can be integrated into the company’s mobile application
- Be cost-effective to implement
The Event is open to global and Singapore-based research providers, students, or companies (start-ups, SMEs or larger companies).
We recommend that you consider the Technology Readiness Level that Problem Owners are seeking for when submitting solutions, as well as whether there is any requirement for selected applicants to have a physical presence in Singapore.
Global applicants must be prepared to bear any travel cost, be it for the face-to-face meeting on RIE Industry Day 2019, or for subsequent follow-up meetings. Subject to the approval of the Problem Owner, a teleconference meeting can be set up between the Problem Owner and shortlisted Solver for the first meeting.
Terms and conditions
For complete details on the terms and conditions that govern the challenge please refer to the website.