WA Innovator of the Year
The Western Australian government is committed to raising the profile of innovation in Western Australia and supporting the delivery of government initiatives to advance the growth of the State’s innovation based industries.
The WA Innovator of the Year (IOTY) program has showcased innovative and entrepreneurial individuals, businesses and creative minds since 2006. The program has benefited many of those who have participated as well as the broader community of Western Australia.
In accordance with the New Industries Fund, the objectives of the IOTY program are to:
- promote and acknowledge the success of Western Australian innovators;
- encourage co-support from industry for promotional activities;
- activate and strengthen industry-government research collaborations;
- engage communities throughout Western Australian regions in innovation; and
- promote job creation and economic diversification in Western Australia.
In order to be considered eligible, and to be included in the evaluation process, an application must be received by the closing date and time and must meet the following criteria:
The applicant must:
- have a business address and be developing their innovation in Western Australia at the time of submission;
- continue to be based in Western Australia during the next three years;
- be an industry organisation, private sector firm, public sector agency, university, research institute, partnership, other organisation or a sole trader based in Western Australia;
- have an ABN or ACN;
- have developed their product or service from original concept, can clearly define the market need or problem it solves and have some form of IP protection and/or rapid route to market;
- be the legal or authorised owner of the innovation;
- not have previously been a recipient of an award under the WA IOTY program in the same category for the same innovation; and
- attend all Business Capability Training sessions in August 2019.
To be eligible in the Emerging Innovation Category, the applicant must:
- not have generated revenue from the innovation set out in this application.
To be eligible in the Growth Category, the applicant must:
- have generated revenue from the innovation set out in this application.
The Overall Winner is ineligible to also win the category into which they originally entered.
Applicants can only enter one application per innovation in one of the Emerging or Growth categories (i.e. an application for the same innovation cannot be lodged for both categories).
Eligible applicants will be evaluated against the following criteria:
- Description of the Innovation: The applicant demonstrates how the innovation provides a competitive solution to a market need in Western Australia.
- Commercial Potential: The innovation has commercial potential and the applicant has a suitable market strategy.
- Capability and Capacity: The applicant demonstrates they have the necessary business experience, resources and expertise (e.g. technical, managerial), either internally or externally, to advance the innovation.
- Level of Impact/Change: The impact that the State Government funds will have on:
- advancing the innovation;
- generating job creation and economic diversification benefits for Western Australia; and
- delivering tangible benefits for industry and end-users. This may include the potential to leverage additional investment into Western Australia.
Terms and conditions
For complete details on the terms and conditions that govern the WA Innovator of the Year (IOTY) program please refer to the website.